Doja Cat (born on 21st August 1995) is an American Singer, Song Writer, Rapper, and Record Producer. She became popular after her song ‘Say So’ became a part of a dance challenge on Tik-Tok and went viral. From celebrities to normal people, almost everybody had used that song to make a video on Tik-Tok.
Doja Cat Biography
Table of Contents
|Name||Amala Ratna Zandile Dlamini|
|Profession||Rapper, Song Writer, Record Producer, Singer|
|Debut||Extended Play: EP, Purrr! in 2013Single: So High in 2013Studio Album: Amala in 2018|
|Height||5’3” or 1.65 m or 165 cm|
|Weight||55 Kg or 121 lbs|
|Date of Birth||21st August, 1995 (25 years od in 2020)|
|Birthplace||Tarzana, California, United States of America|
|Hometown||Bronx, New York, United States of America|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States of America|
|Educational Qualifications||Drop out|
|Mother||Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer|
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Affairs||Johnny Utah (ex.)|
|Net Worth||$7 million (approx.)|
|Hobbies||Skateboarding, Dancing, Surfing|
Early life and Background
Doja Cat was born in Tarzana, California, United States of America in a Jewish American family to father, Dumisani Dlamini and mother, Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer. She holds an American nationality and follows Judaism. Her father is from a South African non-Jewish family and her mother is from a Jewish-American family. Her father is a South African actor, he danced in Broadway musicals for the movie Lion King. Her mother was a painter, dance teacher when Doja was young, now she works as a visual artist.
She raised Doja as a single mother because her father was not always present with her while she was growing up because of his work. Doja lived in Rye, New York at an ashram in Sherman Oaks, California, U. S. She wanted to become a dancer as a kid so she started training going for ballets, hip hop classes at a very young age. When she turned eleven, she did break dance in a crew in Los Angeles. She also joined surf camps around that age. She developed interest in music because of her mother and wanted to be a singer, because of this she dropped out of High School in 11th grade and took up music. She started recording and posting her songs on her SoundCloud channel, amalaofficial. She was getting good response to her songs. She finally debuted with her song ‘So High’ on SoundCloud in 2013. This song was re-released after she signed to a label.
Quotes by the artist
- You stand up for what you believe in.
- It’s funny when you have a theme so particular to cows – or it could be anything like hair or nails – when you’re rapping about a specific thing, you can have more punchlines about it.
- I just like to do the fun stuff. If I’m not having fun with it, I’m not going to do it for the rest of my life.
- When I was 12, I was obsessed with green and had my mom get me a bunch of green bedding for my room.
- I really pull from everyone. I’m absorbent.
- I’m not saying I’m even half as talented or a quarter as talented as any of the people I’m inspired by, but if I hear a beat Busta Rhymes would absolutely kill, I’ll use my voice to do a flow similar to his.
- I believe there are talented female rappers out there that aren’t one-dimensional. It’s OK to be one-dimensional, by the way.
- People can smell when things aren’t genuine.
- The Internet is such… it’s so not real. But it’s big and it feels big when you’re on it.
Doja Cat is currently single and focused fully on her career. Earlier she was dating an indie artist Johnny Utah, famously known as JAWNY. The couple met in the year 2019 when Doja commented on his YouTube channel and later JAWNY also commented on her Instagram. After that they started talking and then dating. They broke up in February 2020 because things were not going so well in their relationship. It was a mutual breakup.
|Singer||Cardi B., Nicki Minaj|
Doja Cat wanted to pursue music so she dropped out of high school and took up music. She recorded her songs on GarageBand and started posting them on her SoundCloud, amalaofficial. In 2013, she finally made her debut with her single ‘So High’ on SoundCloud. This song was re-released after she signed to a label. Next year, she released two of her extended play, EP, Purrr! and One More. Few years later in 2018 she released her song ‘Mooo!’ which she is claimed to be made in a day by her. This went viral and she started getting a lot of attention because of this song.
There was a controversy regarding her very old tweets which some homophobic slurs. Doja apologized for her tweets saying, “I’ve used horrible derogatory and hateful words towards people out of ignorance. I just want you guys to know that you’re incredibly special and I hold you dearly to my heart. I’m sorry for anyone I’ve offended or hurt deeply. You all are worth love and support.” After She released her debut album ‘Amala’ in 2018. A song ‘Juicy’ in this album was played millions of times.
Juicy was later remixed with Tyga in 2019. Her next album ‘Hot Pink’ was released in September 2019. Her song ‘Say So’ from this album went viral on video APP Tik-Tok when a dance challenge started. This song grabbed a record-breaking number of plays word wide after it went viral. Doja’s fan following increased rapidly after this song. Apart from singing and rapping, Doja has appeared in many music videos also.
- EP, Purrr! In 2014
- One More in 2014
- Amala in 2018
- Hot Pink in 2019
- Juicy ft. Tyga
- Say So
- Like That
- Boss Bitch
- P***y Talk ft. City Girls
- Shimmy ft. Lil Wayne
- BMO ft. Ari Lennox
- In your eyes ft. The Weeknd
- Won’t Bite
- Wild Beach
- Equally Lost ft. Tove Lo
- Wine Pon You
- Talk Dirty
- Go to Town
- Cookie Jar
- All Nighter
- Body Language
- Better Than Me
Lesser known Facts
- Doja Cat said in an interview that she thinks she is a bit of a tomboy and a girly girl and she feels like she can be both.
- She does not like to spend time on farms because she does not the smell that comes in farms.
- She has a huge fan following of more than 7.2 million people on Instagram.
- She says she believes in female rap and thinks that everyone should stand up for what they believe in.
- Doja Cat wrote a song when she was eight years old, she sung it to her mom, her mom did not like the song and asked her to carry on because she was very young and had a lot of time to improve.