Andrew John Hozier-Byrne or simply Hozier (born 17th March 1999) is a professional singer, songwriter and musician from Ireland. He made his debut through the Internally hit single “Take Me To Church” which was later certified as multi-platinum in various countries like the US, the UK and Canada. He got his inspiration from his dad, who is also a blues drummer, at a young age. Hozier was nominated for a couple of Grammys for his hit single “Take Me To Church “. He is heavily influenced by rock and R&B genres as well.
|Profession||Musician, Singer, Songwriter|
|Debut||Single- Take Me To Church (2015)|
|Height||6’5” (1.98m or 198 cm)|
|Weight||86 kg or 190 pounds|
|Body Measurements||Chest- 38Waist- 34Biceps- 18|
|Date of Birth||17th March, 1990|
|Birthplace||Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland|
|Hometown||Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland|
|Residence||Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland|
|School||Delgany National SchoolSt. Gerard’s School|
|College/University||Trinity College, Dublin|
|Educational Qualifications||Graduation in Music Education|
|Eye colour||Muddy green|
|Hair colour||Dark brown|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
Early life and Background
Andrew Hozier-Byrne was born and brought up in the Irish Countryside in Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland. His father, John, is a local blue drummer and also works his days at the bank. His mother, Raine, is an artist. Hozier and his brother were raised in the Protestant Quaker faith even though his family was Catholic. He claims himself to be agnostic. Hozier admires the Quaker religion because of its anti-war sentiments and pacifism. Hozier was identified as the “class clown” and an “unfocused student” because of his lack of interest in school work. He received his early education in St. Gerard’s School and Delgany National School. He finished his education studying Music Education at Trinity College, Dublin.
Quotes By the Artist
- The only heaven I’ll be sent to is when I’m alone with you.
- Would things be easier if there was a right way? Honey, there is no right way.
- No better version I could pretend to be tonight.
- And I couldn’t whisper when you needed it shouted.
- Babe, there’s something so lonesome about you, something so wholesome about you.
- All you have is your fire and the place you need to reach. Don’t ever tame your demons, but always keep ‘em on a leash.
- It’s not the waking, it’s rising.
- I will not as you where you came from, I will not ask you, neither should you.
- Give your heart and soul to charity cause the rest of you, the best of you, honey, belongs to me.
- Cause with my mid-youth crisis all said and done, I need to be youthfully felt, cause God I never felt young.
The Irish singer is reportedly dating the famous actress Saoirse Ronan. The pair were friends for some time but were spotted going on several dates. She has also appeared in Hozier’s track Cheery Wine which was to raise awareness about domestic violence. Hozier has also been linked to the singer Taylor Swift in the past. He has been very private about his personal life and does not disclose much to the public. He has been taking some time out from the global stage to work on his new album.
|Book||1984 by George Orwell|
|Song||Stay awake by London Grammar|
Hozier was born to a local blues drummer and developed his love for music early in his life. He joined Trinity College’s Orchestra while pursuing his degree in music. He later received an opportunity to record demos for “Universal Music” and dropped out of college. He was featured in ANUNA’s 2012 release illumination in which he sang “La Chanson de Marson Gras” as a soloist. He then decided to work independently. In 2013, he released his debut single “Take Me To Church” which became a success worldwide. It reached the No.2 position in the UK, the US, Germany, Canada and No.1 in Belgium and Italy.
It earned the platinum certificate as well for RIAA, RMNZ, BVMI, and MC. The title has earned almost 380 million views on YouTube. He won two Billboard Music Awards, one Teen Choice Award and a BBC Music Award for the same. It earned him a Grammy nomination for Song of the Year in 2015. His second EP “From Eden” wasn’t very successful but peaked at No.2 in Ireland and No. 69 in the UK. Hozier released his self-titled album in 2024 which featured three singles, and ‘Take Me To Church ‘, ‘From Eden’ and ‘Work Song’.
It topped the Ireland music chart and peaked at the second place in the US and Canada. It received a platinum certificate in Canada, Ireland, Australia, the UK, the US, and New Zealand. Hozier has also appeared in famous TV shows like ‘Saturday Night Live’, ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’, ‘The Late-Night Show with James Corden’ and ‘Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show 2014’.
- Hozier in 2014
- Wasteland, baby! In 2019
- Take Me to Church in 2013
- From Eden in 2014
- Sedated in 2014
- Work Song in 2014
- Someone New in 2015
- Jackie & Wilson in 2015
- Cherry Wine in 2016
- Better Love in 2016
- Nina Cried Power in 2018
- Movement in 2018
- Almost (Sweet Music) in 2019
- The Bones (Remix) in 2019
- The Parting Glass in 2020
Lesser known Facts
- He is a part of a social activist organization called “Home Sweet Home”.
- He is an outspoken critic of The Catholic Church.
- He announced on 5th June, 2020 that all royalties from his song “Jackboot Jump” would go to the NAACP and Black Lives Matter.
- His song “Take Me to Church” got nominated for the Grammy Song of The Year award in 2015 but lost to Sam Smith’s “Stay with Me”.
- His song “Take Me to Church” highlights the injustice faced by the LGBT community and features two men in a same-sex relationship.
- His song “Jackboot Jump” is a reference to George Orwell’s novel “1984”.
- All artwork for his first album “Hozier” was done by his mom.